Is your business experiencing rapid growth and critical skills shortages, or struggling to retain qualified staff – often losing them to competitors that can offer a better work environment, benefits, more money or career advancement?
Employers who think about attracting and retaining great talent in the same way they think about acquiring customers, and put a similar effort into it, are a step ahead of the game when it comes to finding great staff.
Here are 5 things to consider when you are looking to hire:
1. Be great. The most powerful tool you have for attracting, engaging and retaining the right talent is by building an image that your business is a great place to work, from perks to rewarding or recognising a job well done, make sure prospects know why it’s a great place to work.
2. Keep it light. Make your business a fun place to work, where laughter, fun and a social atmosphere is encouraged. This will cost you nothing. A happy employee is a productive and engaged employee who enjoys coming to work and is more likely to stay.
3. Offer incentives. Implement incentive programs. These can be powerful staff motivational tools and even the financially based ones don’t have to be expensive to be effective. There are a wide variety of both financial and non-financial incentives, and many are quite simple to implement.
4. Show appreciation. Praising to your top performing employees sends out a positive signal to all your staff that you value and appreciate your talented and loyal crew.
5. Reward & Recognise. Recognise and reward excellence in staff performance through an employee reward and recognition program, designed around your employees’ needs. Recognise both individual and team effort.
Photo Credit: Jesse Gaulke’s team JG Construction, Champions of Industry with Carpentry Australia